For application details, please see PEEP Employment Application page.
Position Title: STEM Outreach Assistant
Hourly Wage: $13.50-$14.00 (range)
Weekly hours: 12 on average, additional hours during training
Purpose of the Position:
STEM Outreach Assistants (OAs) serve as ambassadors at CSUCI and in the regional community to promote educational equity through proactive outreach and engagement of students and their families by way of peer mentorship, workshops, and programming that promote a culture of student success.
- Assist with program planning, marketing, and implementation
- Support Project PROMESAS and departmental outreach events
- Serve as near-peer mentors to middle and high school students participating in outreach programming
- Facilitate workshops and deliver presentations to the regional and CSUCI community
- Plan, practice, and facilitate STEM demonstrations/activities in a safe manner by following safety/experimental procedures and using the appropriate eye and clothing protection
- Assist prospective and existing students with navigating the university culture
- Develop lesson plans as needed for outreach workshops, STEM activities, etc.
- Have the knowledge and ability to use outreach curriculum including but not limited to: college preparation, financial aid literacy, student academic success strategies, STEM majors and careers, etc.
- Coordinate outreach work with other student mentors and/or professional staff, including, but not limited to scheduling, planning, debrief, and clean-up
- Assist with the tracking, reporting, and evaluation of all activities
- Meet deadlines as given
- Maintain and report accurate hours on timesheet and submit by the designate deadline
- Complete all administrative duties, including base office hours and any other tasks as assigned
- Assist Project PROMESAS and the department’s professional staff with the development of special events
- Attend weekly team meeting and/or training as well as the Peer Education & Equity Programs (PEEP) orientation/training in the spring/summer
- Attend a minimum of one professional development workshop provided by campus partners per semester
- Perform other outreach-related and/or activities that meet the deliverables of Project PROMESAS
- Must be a STEM major
- Must be a currently enrolled undergraduate CSUCI student
- Must be enrolled in at least 6 units during time of employment and throughout the term of employment
- Must have a minimum cumulative and semester GPA of 2.00 and be in good academic and behavioral standing (not on academic or disciplinary probation) with the university
- Must be available to work at least 6 hours a week
- Must have access to reliable transportation to the job site, if required (NOTE: This position may require you to work off-campus at designated regional K-12 school or community college sites)
- Must be sensitive to the needs of under-represented and low-income students
- Available to work flexible hours and on weekends
- Excellent community skills, both written and oral
- Please note: Due to federal funding, the successful candidate must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- English/Spanish bilingual, preferred
- Experience working with students in grades 6-12.
- Experience as a peer mentor
- Experience in a STEM laboratory setting either as part of a course, volunteer work, or work experience
- Experience working with a diverse and/or under-served populations
- Possesses cultural knowledge related to a diverse population and/or under-served populations
- Possess group facilitation skills
- Effective communication with diverse groups of people, including, but not limited to: middle and high school students, parents/families, faculty, staff, and guests
- Effective time management, including, but not limited to: being on time for scheduled meetings with professional staff and/or students, allocating sufficient time to the planning of activities; and making efficient use of time
- Consistency and persistence in follow-up as well as creativity and willingness to take initiative
- Experience developing and implementing college knowledge/STEM outreach programming
- Attend Orientation/Training Spring/Summer 2020 Orientation. Attendance is required.
- Fall 2020 Semester Working Hours: up to 12 hours a week during August 24, 2020 – December 18, 2020. Base hours are on average 12 per week.
- Spring 2021 Semester Working Hours: up to 12 hours a week during January 25, 2021 – May 28, 2021. Base hours are on average 12 week.